Promoted Dyslexia Awareness with Community Events
- Arranged screenings (and filmmaker public appearances) for major dyslexia-themed movies including “The Big Picture” and “Dislecksia: The Movie”
- Booked and coordinated speaking engagements and related public appearances for dyslexia notables, including John Rodrigues, author of High School Dropout to Harvard, Harvey Hubbel, filmmaker, Victor Villasenor, Pulitzer Prize-nominated novelist.
- Conducted monthly “Dyslexia Dialogues,” featuring discussions with parents and educators, multimedia presentations, panel discussions with influential community members with dyslexia
Created and Delivered Talks and Seminars
- Presentations at “Disability Awareness Day” events in elementary and secondary schools, SBUSD Teacher Training days, and to school board members and administrators
- Presentations at Back-to-School Nights, PTAs, Family Health Fairs
- Talks to Educational Therapists Association, service clubs, philanthropic organizations
Media Promoting Dyslexia Awareness
- Wrote feature articles and op-eds about dyslexia for Santa Barbara Independent, Santa Barbara News-Press, Noozhawk, Santa Barbara Seasons magazine and more.
- In association with The Trailmaster, produced a series of videos highlighting the challenges and opportunities for those with dyslexia, as well as the organization’s art and photography exhibits.
- Discussed dyslexia on numerous radio stations including K-LITE, KCLU and KZSB, as well as on KEYT-TV news.
- Active on dyslexia-oriented social media nationally and internationally.
Parent Resource Center for Santa Barbara Unified School District
- Acquired books and videos, organized lending library
- Developed reference materials, college resources
- Promoted PRC as a community hub of information and services
- Supervised staff to conduct community and social media outreach
- Held open houses at PRC for parents and community members
- Consulted with parents to discuss needed services for their children
1 in 5 Photo Project: Making the Invisible Visible
- Groundbreaking creative photographic approach depicting dyslexia in images and words to inform, inspire, and develop awareness.
- Research and work with dyslexic community members—from young children to retirees—in all walks of life, income levels and backgrounds to depict the individual and collective experience of dyslexia.
- Ongoing acclaimed project has been displayed in libraries, bookshops, and dyslexia awareness events throughout Southern California.
A Big Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Kirby Jones Foundation
Fotine O’Connor Trust
Rotary Club of Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara Education Foundation
Santa Barbara Unified School District
And to the individual donors who have supported our work